Vickie Hines About Vickie Hines Mrs. Southern States International 2013 Sponsors of Vickie Hines Contact Vickie Hines Image Map

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Women's education research........

During my senior year at Henderson State University, upon the recommendation of my professor, I was given the opportunity to write a history research paper for which I would receive three credit hours.  By far, it was one of the most difficult and rewarding undertakings of my college career.  The hours spent in libraries, court houses, museums, personal interviews and sitting at a computer consumed my time and left me wondering if my paper would actually come to exist.  By the end of the first semester of my senior year, my paper, "Spring Hill Female Academy:  Aristocracy, Education, and Culture in Southwest Arkansas, 1836-1845", was complete.  My work chronicled the rise and fall of an all women's college complete with history of the township of Spring Hill and its sometimes colorful residents and happenings.  I received an "A" for my writing efforts, and the university published the paper.  Over the years, I have presented the paper orally as a guest speaker for various groups.